Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Tale of the Skirt, Part One

I remember seeing this skirt on Katie Holmes on the web one day, and I nearly fell off my chair!  I love the sculptural elements and the subtle couture quality of it.  To this day, I'm not sure who it was made by, but I have
a feeling it's Lanvin, Armani, or Fendi.  I could be totally wrong, though...  In any case, I surely wouldn't have been able to afford it.  So what's a girl like me to do?  I really really wanted the skirt, and after days of obsessing over it, I decided to take action.  I printed some pics and headed to a local dressmaker.  The shop was really small and, to be honest, I wasn't really keen on the gowns and frocks that occupied most of the tiny space.  I was greeted by a very quiet and pleasant woman.  Her name was Mi-Lyn, and I think I totally overwhelmed her with my pleading and all my questions.  "Do you think you can do it? Really? Can you make it look just as sculptural and tailored as in the picture? Oh please say yes!" 
She smiled and laughed nervously and said she could do it.  Elated, I ran off to the only farbric store in the city and promised Mi-Lyn I'd be right back.   My mood quickly changed as I found myself drowning with dolor in a sea of polyester and synthetic blends. I feel itchy just thinking about it.  I had my heart set on finding an Italian wool/cashmere blend in a light grey with a tint of baby blue.  Far from it was what I found!  I found a suitable tweed -I mean tweed-poly blend -in black and white.  It wasn't what I wanted, but it would do.  I consoled myself by deciding that this should be a test skirt... that I wasn't going to spend upwards of $100 on quality fabric unless I was sure Mi-Lyn could work a miracle and make the exact skirt I wanted.  With my poly-blend in tow, I jetted back to the shop explaining that it was the best I could do.  Then it was time to wait.  Mi-Lyn told me she would call back in about a month for my first fitting.  So I waited... 


...To be continued